Friday, November 2, 2012

Pumpkin Patch

We went to the pumpkin patch the week before Halloween.  We went on the Wednesday night before Jason left for Colombia on a mission trip the next day.  I have to admit, I was feeling a little emotional about him leaving for 5 days, out of the country, in not the safeset place in the world.  Deep down, I really wanted some good pictures to capture our night out. 
 
There have been alot of stories about tragedy and sudden death in the last month among our friends and our community - car wrecks, drowing, plane crashes...etc.  I have to admit...I try to live everyday to its fullest...never knowing when our last will be...but this day...I especially had that on my mind. 
 
I love my family fiercely.  I am so thankful that God has given us to each other.  I want to never take for granted their laughter, their hugs, and their smiles.  The days are long but the years are short - a phrase that is ringing more and more true each year. 
 
I think being an involved Mom is the hardest, most amazing job in the world.  It is often thankless and difficult - diapers, dishes, laundry, discipline, whininess, sibling fights, errands to run, projects to finish, things to organize, things to make...   BUT...these same things are the BEST part of being a mom too.  I get to be a part of the everyday development of my kids.  I get to
  1. Diapers -  sing to them while changing them...providing their basic needs
  2. Dishes - teach them about housework & cleaning up
  3. Laundry - be reminded of how small & dependent they are now...remembering my influence is strong now...make it count!
  4. Discipline - Grow them in the ways of the Lord...showing them how to be a mature and functioning human in this world with self-control and respect to others
  5. Whininess - show them that we can choose to complain or we can choose joy.
  6. Sibling fights - raising them to be problem solvers and showing them how to share...showing them how to take care of each other - for they will always be friends
  7. Errands to run - Getting out and about with my family. Experiencing new things.
  8. Projects to finsih - glue & scissors in hand so we can laugh, create, and enjoy each other
  9. Things to organize - teaching my kids that we can be content with what we have and we can make things work with a little effort
  10. Things to make - getting in the kitchen with the littles or showing them how to craft and sew and watching their creativity grow...
     
It's a small list of a few things...but I am so grateful that I have this time with my kids.  I don't want to waste it.  I don't want to complain it away.  I don't want to long for other types of days.  I want to make each day count.
 
Today, I just want you to remember how much you longed to be a wife when you were single...and how much you desired to be a mom when you had no children.  Remember how in love you were when you realized the boy you just met was the one God had for you.  Remember how amazed you were at this tiny baby in your arms the first time you held him/her. 
 
Here we are years later - choose to live each day to its fullest.  Choose to serve your family and love them extra today.  Choose them over the computer or the TV or your house work.  Choose them to invest your energy in.  Choose them to love.  Choose them to serve. 
 




 


 




1 comment:

Stacy said...

Beautiful post, Melissa!