Thursday, October 25, 2012

My entry-way

 About 2 weeks into school starting, I said to my husband, "Something has to change...or I'm going to lose my head."  :)  Yep...I was close to having a serious melt-down.  Every morning we were hunting for shoes, backpacks, folders, lunch boxes, sunglasses...etc.  It was taking up so much of the morning...not to mention the steam blowing out my ears as I tried to get the little people moving.  Somehow my urgency to get out the door did not seem to make a difference with the little people.  It truly just made them more flustered and less productive in their hunt for that missing left shoe.
 
So...enters my handyman...
 
I had been searching pinterest for months (literally...5 or 6 months) for the perfect "non mudroom, mudroom."  I have zero space in my entry-way.  There isn't really room for a shelf or bench or bookcase to place all these things.  I found some great solutions for it, but none fit there really.  Then...I stumbled upon the perfect unit...built right onto the wall!

 
We went to Home Depot...purchased pieces of wood, nails, molding, and paint.  We measured twice and cut once...just like we were supposed to. :)

 
We screwed in wood for sections, made a shelf of molding and wood, added paint and hooks....
 
And we have our OWN version of an entry-way "mudroom" - No space required!

 
I haven't completed the decorations on top, but each kid has a double hook with their picture above it.  They know EXACTLY where to put their back pack and shoes.  Jason and I each have a hook as well for keys and sunglasses and his coaching badge. 
 
My life has changed for the better.  Seriously.  It has been AWESOME. 
 
Best home project at our house yet!
 
For those of you who have asked about instructions for doing one...here's the original design

1 comment:

Cara said...

Love it, Mel!!! Looks awesome!!! :)