We got engaged on November 5, 1999. We had gone out on a very fun date to celebrate Jason having a job and moving to Irving where I was working. We went to Reunion Tower and had an elegant meal. We were planning to see a movie, but Jason suggested going to see my new office building at Williams Square. This is the same place that we had talked about marriage previously...just one month after we began dating. There was a random group of girls singing praise songs in harmony by the water while we were walking around. Jason told me some very sweet and mushy things then got down on his knee to ask me to marry him. I covered my mouth in shock...and then said "yes!" :) I wasn't expecting him to ask me so soon since he had just moved the week before! The girls who had been singing saw the proposal and began singing "Goin to the Chapel" and then clapped & cheered for us! It was a perfect addition to a perfect night.
7 months after we began dating...we got engaged...and 7 months after we got engaged...we were married! We got married at 6:00 pm at the church I grew up in. We had hundreds of people there and it was a wonderful blessing to us! My pastor for years and my brother married us. My brother had severely injured his back the day or 2 before the wedding and was on some serious pain pills. I was terrified that he might say something to totally embarass me...but he kept it together! ;) Thanks Patrick! My mom put in so much work to make this day special...she took care of so many things for me! She's amazing at this stuff...and she always wants the best for us! My dad walked me down the isle...I couldn't even talk to him before the wedding or I knew that I would completely loose it...my emotions were right there under the surface...one sweet word from him and I would have been a basket-case.
The night stormed and blew a beautiful archway of flowers down the street. My wonderful florist chased after it and tried to save it before the wedding...he came in soaked with a few flowers in hand. They say storms on your wedding are good luck... :)
The wedding was wonderful and a dream come true for me. We had the organ, the piano, a flute, and a harp. My former roommate, Sara, sang "How Beautiful" and Jason and I had pre-recorded us singing "Shine on us" during our prayer time.
One of my favorite memories is that right after we knelt to pray, Jason kissed my forehead. It was such a simple, sweet thing that he didn't even realize he had done...
We had our reception at the Sheraton Hotel. We danced and had a buffet and yummy cake...well...everyone else had cake...Jason and I didn't get ours...craziness! ;)
We began as a fun-loving couple...we lived in an apartment, both worked demanding jobs, we got 2 puppies, we had spontaneous parties (still do), we ate out all the time, we loved to entertain ourselves, we "dated" for years after we got married....it's been a blast.
We now have a house we've lived in for 8 years, 2 precious kids that have forever changed our lives, a different & wonderful church, amazing friends, our dog Sully, and alot of life in between the changes.
God has been constant and our lives our forever intwined. I am thankful for the treasure in my husband. He was definitely a diamond in the rough. ;)
I'm here to tell you that 10 years later...I am amazed at the solid man of God, the man of integrity, the leader, the provider, and the rock that my husband has become. He has certainly made me a better person and I cannot wait to see what our future together holds.
Here's to the next decade
(Disclaimer: Sorry I'm mushy...I'm feeling a bit sappy!)






2 comments:
I remember you talking about him after that mission trip with a sparkle in your eye.... I remember the two of you dancing by the MSC fountain at ring dance... I remember your beautiful wedding (and the storms)....
Congratulations on 10 years!
Thanks for reading scripture at my wedding Michelle! ;)
AND...thanks for the reminder about dancing around the fountain...that's one I hadn't thought about in a while! Good times!
Post a Comment