It's January. Most people, like me, are looking over their life and trying to determine what exactly it is that they need to "fix." I often start out enthusiastic...and then sit...and begin to feel overwhelmed at how far from "that perfect mom, wife, friend, Believer, etc..." I am. I wonder how an energetic, educated, hard-working person such as myself repeatedly fails as a house-keeper, mom, cook, educator to my kiddos, and wife to my man. I repeatedly go through this cycle..."I'm gonna get it right this time"...and then there is always a holiday, an illness, a "situation", a rough week, a big event, a crisis, or just life that seems to distract from that goal. I'm tired of the cycle. I want to start differently this time. First of all, I want to make it clear to myself that those things will always happen and can't be a reason for living in chaos. Seems simple enough...but for me...it's always a reason for chaos. I want to take one step at a time and build on it. I really do. It's like the movie "Fireproof" if you've seen it. Building...adding to what you've done the day before...making it habit in your life. I think it's a great place to start.
I picked up an oldie but a goodie today. I decided to read Rick Warren's "A Purpose Driven Life" again. It's been a while. The bookmark was a Magic Moon business card...so it's been about 2.5 years since I've read this one. First line of the book: "It's not about you." Great line.
"God was thinking of you long before you ever thought about him. His purpose for your life predates your conception. He planned it before you existed, without your input!" Question to consider "In spite of all the advertising around me, how can I remind myself that life is really about living for God, not myself?" For me, living for myself is not as much of an issue as "living for my family" is. As a mom with 2 kids under 2.5, I'm constantly reminded it's not about me...but I can still lose sight of WHO it is really about...because I am so consumed with good things like my kids & my husband. So...here goes...
1. Change my morning routine.
That's it. That is step one. I live all day feeling like I'm behind, or I've got to get some things done, or whatever.... So...I was inspired by another blog to put 5 steps on my morning routine. So here goes:
1. Get up and make bed.
2. Pour my bowl of Cocao Puffs (yes...that's what I eat.)
3. Spend 20 minutes in the Word/Devotion/Prayer
4. Unload the dishwasher
5. Start a load of laundry
With such little kiddos, every morning has a different start time...a bit unpredictable on that, but I don't need to know more than the first 30 minutes of my day....for now. :) I'd like to stick to the motto I made for myself "In bed by 11...up by 7.", but I'm not quite ready for that in my routine yet. :)
So...here goes...
8 years ago






1 comment:
Melissa,
This is exactly where I am! I'm still in the beginning stages of figuring out my mommy routine, and it can be so overwhelming. One thing I am doing this year is focusing more on Scripture memory. The passage I am working on right now has these verses:
"Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland."
I just need to be reminded that God has a new start for me every day-I can't be discouraged by my mistakes in the past. I'll pray this for you too, sister! Love you!
Shannon
Post a Comment