Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Ponder

So...my brother and I were talking Sunday on the phone about our children and how often they demonstrate our relationship with God.  Often...they show us our faults and show us how simple our minds are.

Today...it was HOT.  Seriously HOT.  My children often enter the car on the same side and one of them has to walk across to the other side.  It just makes it easier on everyone.  During the heat of the day, leaving the library, I instructed my children (mainly my son) to get into the car as quickly as possible so that I could get by and get it started (there is no squeezing by with this belly!!)  I specifically said - no stopping, no picking anything up, no fighting over which seat to sit in...just get in, sit in your chair, and strap yourself in.

2 seconds after this left my mouth, Austin is bent over picking something up as he climbs up the step (while Jasmine and I are standing on the hot concrete between 2 heat-releasing parked vehicles waiting.)  Then, he proceeds to fight with his sister about sitting in her chair.  I finally get the door shut, move by them, start the car, and roll the windows down. 

As I look back, my son is whining about how hot the car is and how hot his chair is and how he doesn't want to buckle up.  I repeatedly told him, the sooner you get buckled, the sooner we can leave, and the sooner the car will cool off.  He argued with me for a while, but eventually strapped himself in.


How often do we spend our time ignoring God's very clear instructions??  After ignoring Him, we spend our time whining & complaining about the situation we're in...about the heat.  All the while, God is trying to encourage us to sit down, strap in, and let Him drive...He knows way more than we do, He has a plan to get us out of the heat.  He has already thought it through and knows what will work the best.  He wants to get in the driver's seat and take us to a place that will cool us off.  To give us relief from the heat we're in.  He just wants us to listen, obey, and trust Him.